Thursday, April 10, 2014

First Look — Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou, Isshukan Friends

It is "spring" time for Brains Base, and I mean that literally. They got two series that looks like it's going to be for keeps: Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou and Isshukan Friends. 


With Bokura's case it didn't made the cut for my original lineup but I went along with it for the last minute before the premiere. In the end I'm glad I watched the first episode. The animation is superb; all the shades, lighting and coloring is very reminiscent of the recent works of Makoto Shinkai, although the character design (especially with the big breasted girl) is a little too average, in my opinion. The story is not the most genuine but I think we're going to be in it for a lot of fun. If they could avoid those wear out, tried and tested cliche's in exchange for something refreshing then I bet this series would fare well from what is least expected.



Isshukan Friends, my number two must-see anime for spring, gave me exactly what I wished for. Brains Base has been standing on a minefield lately, with their recent string of shows that are mostly either a hit or a miss, especially their Otome adaptations (Amnesia, Brother's Conflict) and their winter 2014 offering D-Frag! I have to remind myself from time to time that this is the same studio that produced Natsume Yuujinchou, Durarara and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, just in case I'm on the verge of giving up on them. Isshukan Friends came in at the right time, and in my opinion,  it is the perfect show that can be at par with the likes of Natsume Yuujinchou in terms of poignancy and unabashed sentimentality that Brain's Base is quite known for. The breezy art design looks very much like it came out of Hourou Musuko, and I was surprised (and glad at the same time) that they got the same person to work for Isshukan Friends because it carries the same vibe and overall mood of the show. Where all the credit's due, besides the studio, it is the source material that will be the strength and backbone of this series and I firmly believe so always. I think great anime's are great because they were written well in the first place. Bad writing only constitutes bad adaptations. But we'll see how Brains Base handles this young blood manga. So here's hoping for all the good things (to come). 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...