Friday, May 18, 2012

Auteur: Quentin Tarantino




“Pulp Fiction is probably the first film that I have seen once we got cable. And that is like, fifteen years ago. I always remember that guy in a pink bathrobe talking funny – because he seems to be everywhere. His name is mentioned all the time on MTV as if he is the next best thing. He played as George Clooney’s brother in the movie “From Dusk Till Dawn” and he was that chatterbox guy in a black suit in “Reservoir Dogs”. Back then I knew him as an actor, but I never pegged him as the same Quentin Tarantino: the director. I mean, at the age of thirteen or fourteen, I couldn’t care less about Quentin Tarantino. But that all changed throughout the years; I love Pulp Fiction and I’ve been hooked to it since we got cable…and that is like, fifteen years ago. Of all the filmmakers in this world, dead or alive, Tarantino is my emblem for the ultimate auteur. He is my secret professor. I’ve learned things about movies and film making all because of him. FYI, he did not attend college and he learned his trade purely by watching movies and working in a video store. He is an inspiration and a valid proof (to the argument) that you do not need to spend four years or more in the close confines of a university to become a filmmaker. His impressive list of incomparable and unbridled ouvre is a reflection of his vast knowledge in film making and the world around him, gained not through the four corners of a classroom but via his relentless passion and obvious love for his craft, life and above all, art.” (18 May 2012)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...