Thursday, September 6, 2012

Girl with the Miniature Cinema

For months, I've been circling on ideas for the title of my blog. Not having any clue whatsoever, I settled on the words, "Chin at the Movies...and everything in between." I thought it was aptly put, since my intention besides posting anything cinema related -- is to write any topics under the bright sparkling sun -- that has caught my interest -- and that has given my monotonous life some color. However, every now and then, the idea of giving my blog its appropriate title hasn't veered off from my mind. I feel that as long as my blog doesn't have its proper name then, I would forever be devoid of calling it "my cyber home".

The banner for the "Chin at the Movies & Everything in Between"

However, a literary encounter from my favorite TV series -- Mad Men, change the trajectory of this blog. It help me decide, that henceforth, "Chin at the Movies" is no more, and that now there would only be the "Girl with a Miniature Cinema." Borrowing its name from the short story "The Man with the Miniature Orchestra" from Mad Men season 5 episode 5 -- Signal 30. The story was written by Dave Algonquin, the pseudonym of SCDP account executive, Ken Cosgrove.

Well, I'm not one to explain the reasons at best, why I picked the title from the rest. So I guess, I would let the story speak for itself:

“There were phrases of Beethoven’s 9th symphony that still made Coe cry. He always thought it had to do with the circumstances of the composition itself. He imagined Beethoven, deaf and soul-sick, his heart broken, scribbling furiously while Death stood in the doorway, clipping his nails. Still, Coe thought, it might have been living in the country that was making him cry; it was killing him with its silence and loneliness, making everything ordinary too beautiful to bear.” 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...