Monday, July 8, 2013

First Look: Stella Jogakuin Koutouka C3-bu

Year: 2013 | Based on the manga series written by Ikoma and illustrated by Tomomoka Midori |
 Directed by: Masayoshi Kawajiri | Studio: Gainax


So Girls und Panzer meets K-ON! 

I love those two aforementioned series and I'm a fan of them obviously. In a way my expectation for C3-bu is to be disappointed, after all the formula for "cute girls doing cute things" has been repeatedly done in anime countless of times. So what's new? For one, the studio that produced this anime is the same studio that brought us Evangelion. However, there is no Ikari Shinji here, everything looks nice and carefree, butterflies and daisies. For a summer season that is composed mainly of cute high school girls I am surprised that this one turns out to be rather enjoyable. Not sickening saccharine. These girls are weird and they are not afraid to show it. They are crazy about a hobby that doesn't get as much attention from other girls because it is known to be something rough, crude and dangerous. Of course the staple scenes of getting a new member for their underdog club is right there, but I really don't mind because the premise of the story is all about fun. The whole point is not to take itself seriously. I watch these shows to be relaxed, to get in touch with my inner child, and I'm glad that the first episode gave me a dose of that. 

P.S. I will be writing First Look entries for Servant x Service, Dog and Scissors, Genshiken, Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi, Uchouten Kazoku, and Blood Lad but it would be delayed for a few days due in part to real life circumstance. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...