Friday, April 19, 2013

Sensory Overload: Anime Spring 2013


I was inspired to redo my "sensory overload" segment after visiting one of my favorite anime blog. Take into consideration the difficulty level of squeezing out words from my skull. At the end of the day, little run downs like this is much better for me rather than to write full-length reviews with matching flowery vocabularies. Not for the lack of trying - because I did my best for the past two weeks -  but I just can't get anything done, and I hate not accomplishing anything whenever I go online.

There are a handful of anime's premiered this Spring 2013. However, I've selected just enough titles to watch this season, and all in all there are fifteen of them included on my list. I have refrain from watching harem (which means no Uta no Prince-sama and Date A Live for me) and have averted completely from watching boobie characters and panty shots (I'm not a dude so I don't get titillated with the fan service of Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Bride and Mushibugyo). In my opinion, there are more winners than letdowns based on the pilot episodes alone, but we'll see how they would fare well until the very end. My fingers are crossed for a very good and exciting season, so let's go and have some fun!

15. Photo Kano
First of all, this one broke my earlier statement. This is a harem anime with plenty of fan service and boobsie characters. But I got reeled in by the camera, and was fooled by the premise, and once I started a series I feel obliged to stick from start to finish despite my repugnance for the story and the characters. 

14. Arata Kangatari
I was a fan of Fushigi Yuugi and I'm getting the same vibes here considering they were made by the same mangaka. I always love magical things and I can see some moments of brilliance here and there, but this one is downright forgetful and I'll blame that to my age and experience. 

13. Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai.
I love the first season, but come on Kirino and Ayase are the worst part of this show. The yandere and tsundere thing doesn't work for me. And I can't understand Kyousuke's feelings for his sister. Is it just purely sibling relationship or something else? At the moment it's too early to tell if season two would turn out for the better (or worse). But for now I'll stick with this show because of the fantastic Kuroneko - I love her to bits. 

12. Karneval
I love beautiful things, but the little dude gets on my nerves, he can't even help himself. Yogi is adorable though, kudos to Mamoru Miyano. 

11. Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko
Kawaii characters have their special spot on my book, especially if they were made by J.C. Staff. I'm all in for the love story, so please do not make me cry like with Tora Dora, Ano Natsu and Sakurasou. 


10. Devil Survivor 2 The Animation
I have no further background about the game but the concept of the series is quite interesting and I think it's a notch higher to Persona 4, so that's a good thing. 

9. To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S
Whoa! I miss the girls, especially my hero Misaka Mikoto. In describing how I love this anime in two words: sparks fly! Misaka and Touma for the win.  

8. Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru.
The antisocial lead characters reminds me a lot of Houtarou (from Hyouka) and Masuzu (from Oreshura). They are all perfectly flawed, even the supporting cast, you can see the ridiculousness of high school life in their eyes - and just like them I'm not a fan of that stage in my life. 





7. Kakumeiki Valvrave 
The colors of this animation is vividly emblazoned in my mind even when I close my eyes. The lightness of this series is a good thing compared to the excessive seriousness of Code Geass. Our mecha's do not need to be no-nonsense all the time. A little bit of fun goes a long, long way so I'll be keeping my eyes all glued to Valvrave.


6. Aku No Hana
My heart beats for its imperfection, creepiness and nihilism. This is my weekly vitamins. 

5. Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge
The strange premise. The Gothic vibe. The out-of-this-world but comforting love story, I'm all love for it!



4. Hataraku Maou-Sama!
They know how to give us the right blend of humor and it's surprisingly on the spot. Give me a dose of Maou and his plans for world domination by working part-time at MgRonald's and I'm all in. 


3. Shingeki no Kyojin
Incendiare. Epic. Massive. Hail to Wit Studio and Production I.G. for turning a promising manga into a highly stylized anime adaptation. I could see it already being adapted into a live action motion picture by the likes of Steven Spielberg, that's how superb this series is in my opinion. For all the hype it stirred before its premiere it definitely live up to its very high expectations. 


2. Suisei no Gargantia
Urobuchi is back! And he's giving us Water World and Star Wars, and I don't mind. My, my Gargantia has definitely swept me off of my feet. Science fiction is definitely my cup of tea.  


1. RDG: Red Data Girl
This series got everything I love: magic, fantasy, culture, mystery and romance all rolled into one. The first episode grabbed me on the get-go. I love its innocence and its fascinating take on Shinto  - a foreign domain to me but is the catalyst for my being googly eye every week and on repeats. What more can I say, it just have everything I wanted...and more. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...