Saturday, July 19, 2014

Miracle in Cell No. 7 (Impression)


I Am Sam meets The Green Mile meets The Shawshank Redemption, and what else. The plot of the movie has "Hollywood" written all over its forehead so it's not surprising if audiences find this movie lovable, for some touchy-feely reasons. This is a movie that you can sit down together with your entire family. Even some people I know of has admitted to shedding bucketful of tears for this film, especially during the last sequences - but I would refrain myself from giving away any spoilers. I find it enjoyable, heartwarming and funny, but there are no Kleenex moments here on my part (I'm sorry). I was waiting for those "it" or "oomph" scenes - that they were talking about - but I guess I've seen so many melodramatic Korean movies in this lifetime, who successfully made me bawl and drool (no questions asked it is "Secret Sunshine" and "Maundy Thursday"), that it will take a heavy hitter before I cry again on a Korean movie, so there. Filipinos, especially those who gravitates towards watching ABS-CBN shows, loves their cheesy lines and waterworks, something that we have in common with Koreans, except that they make better movies than us and they are not "baduy". The only thing that frustrated me about "Miracle in Cell No. 7" is how the writers got away with putting Lee Yong-gu behind bars. Because you cannot incarcerate a mentally challenged individual or an insane person no matter what. Duh? Where's WHO or Amnesty International in Korea? It's like the strongest fighting chance of Lee Yong-gu, even if he's up against a commissioner. Just saying. Know your facts before you accept what you see. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...